Thursday, January 20, 2011

Operation Dooty

Well, as we all well know by now, miniG is a force to be reckoned with...he's strong willed and stubborn but that's one of the things I love most about him...he's not a push over...

But, our battles these days are few and far between, but one of the oldest deals with potty training...specifically poop...everybody's favorite subject, right?

I wouldn't even call it a battle really, more of a waiting game...when's he going to give it up you know?

Potty training in general was initially his idea, which everybody says is best...I was going to wait until we moved into the house to work on it since there were so many changes going on already...but before we moved (I can't even remember if Chunkamunk was born yet...I really don't even remember how it happened, it just did) he decided he was ready to pee in the potty...yippee!

And it was very easy, there were very few accidents we hit a couple speed bumps along the way, but now he goes all day with no pullup and he even takes a nap with no pullup and he hasn't had an accident in over a week now...

Now...on to the poop...about 6ish months ago, there were about 4 days in a row where he ran in to the bathroom all by himself and pooped on his little potty with no prompting from me, whatsoever...progress, right? It was his own idea, yay!

But, alas, for some unknown reason, he stopped and no longer wants to do it on the potty...don't know why...and this kid is beyond bribery and peer pressure...I've tried everything, but he seriously cannot be bribed...

And, just denying him a pullup when he asks for one to poop doesn't work, because he will just hold it in until bed time when he knows he will get a pullup...

So, what do I do? Do I come up with some crazy strategy how to convince him to do it? I've thought about it...the past couple of days I've had him sit on the potty for a few minutes just so he gets used to it again...and I've dangled the promise of computer game time as a reward...and that's a very tempting one for him...he's thinking about it...

Here's my plan...I've planted the seed about computer games, he sits on the potty for a few minutes a day...and then, I do nothing...3 years and 2 kids later I have finally learned the lesson that "this too shall pass"...everything is just a phase...just as he decided he was ready to pee on the potty, he will eventually decide that he's ready to poop on it and I'm just not going to worry about it....

I have also already informed him that in a few months when we are ready to potty train at night, that there will be no more pullups and therefore he will have no other choice but to poop on the potty...so, there's always that...but I'm pretty confident that he'll decide to do it before then...

Why? Because, he is full of surprises...good ones :o)

No comments: