Sunday, January 23, 2011

I'm sorry...Do I know you?...Oh! Hi Mom!

My memory is horrible....well, parts of it...see, some things I remember very well...but my long term memory is shot....and I'm pretty sure it goes back to when I was hit in the head with a bat

NO! Not that kind of bat silly!

Yeah, one of those!!


Not on purpose of course...at least I don't think it was....

See, 15-20ish years ago (Wow, you have no idea how old that phrase makes me feel) I was in like 6th or 7th or 8th grade, I don't really remember and we were in gym class playing softball

(Now, keep in mind that I got a pretty bad concussion so this story is all second hand information, I remember NONE of it, so if you happen to be reading this and you were there and remember, please feel free to jump in!)

So, playing softball....my team was up at bat and I was at the back of the line paying no attention whatsoever to the game and probably talking to somebody or something...

The kid that was up at bat, hits the ball and chucks the bat...well, he chucked it pretty hard and all the people paying attention moved out of the way...but I...did not...

I'm not sure where I got hit first, if it hit the back of my head first and then whipped around and hit my face or if I turned around at the last second and it hit my face first, but regardless I got hit both places

I was really lucky though that it hit right beneath my nose so I didn't break my nose and no teeth were lost

Now, when I get embarrassed, I laugh...mostly because I know everybody else is laughing at me, so may as well join in the merriment, so apparently I sat up and started laughing...but then somebody told me I was bleeding and I freaked out...I have a hard time believing that one, because I'm not really a freaker outer...but anyway,...

 The custodian drove down to the ball field and picked me up, I got to ride in the back of his truck I guess and I have no memory of that, bummer, he took me to the nurses office, they called my parents...my dad came to get me...took me home...I took a nap...and don't remember a single second of that day before I woke up

My parents even asked me if I remembered taking my sister to the airport and I said I didn't even remember her being home to visit...but then I remembered the airport and it's weird that this sticks out to me...but I remember being in one part of the airport that was deserted looking and thinking it reminded me of that Langoliers movie...but, I digress

So, I have no idea if there is any medical validity to that experience being why my long term memory is so shot..but seriously, it's bad

High school is just a blur to me...which I'm not terrible sorry about because I was just a chubby, insecure, weird..thing...so the less I remember the better I think

And college just feels like an entire lifetime ago...a friend of mine keeps reminding me of things from college and I'm like "Oh yeah, that's how we met?" and "What's that? You had a jerk face boyfriend? Oh Yeah! I totally remember...I think" Ugh! It's irritating

So, I think that's one reason I'm doing this whole blog thing...to remember the funny cute things my kids do as they grow up...I don't want to forget them the way they are now...I'm sentimental like that

And all the other random stuff that pops in my head that I feel the need to right down...well, that's just extra

So, if I've known you for a long time and don't remember stuff that I probably should...blame the bat

No comments: