Saturday, April 2, 2011

SuperNanny....my hero!

Okay, so I think we have pretty well established the ups and downs that are the Treacherous Threes


Terrible Twos be damned! It's a walk in the park compared to the Threes, but nobody tells you that...I'm convinced there are little parenting secret tidbits like that, and nobody tells you, and all the the more experienced parents are all just waiting for you to get there so they can snicker behind your back...but that's beside the point


One very common up and down battle with miniG is bed time and nap time...for a good 2 years it was all sweetness and light and no crying and perfection...then we introduced the toddler bed and life forever changed...it was a mighty battle but Mom and Dad eventually conquered and all was well and back to being calm and lovely...then for whatever reason, the battle resumed then we won again...and so on and so forth for the past 18 months or so...


Well, we had been stuck in a battle for quite a while recently and Mom and Dad were on the losing end...there was a lot of getting out of bed...a lot of yelling...and fits...and all things not nice...


I used to watch the SuperNanny when it first came on TV and I was sans children and I remembered her technique of not talking, not making eye contact, just putting them back in bed and leaving the room....I also remembered the parents on the shows doing it for like an hour and a half and I remember thinking :"Pssh that would never work. That's so dumb"...no thanks...or so I thought


Being at the end of my rope, I decided to give it a shot...and for about 20 minutes we did that whole thing, only miniG kept yelling "Mom! Talk to me! Why are you talking to me! Talk to meeeeeeeeeeee!"


Now, please keep in mind that I informed him ahead of time what he could expect and he knew that I wouldn't be talking to him...I'm not THAT mean...


He started sounding pretty pitiful, so I put him back in bed, dried his tears, whispered "I love you, goodnight" and tucked him in....and that was it Peeps! That was it!!


AND, it spilled over to nap time...granted, he didn't fall asleep, but he stayed in bed...for an hour...did not even attempt to get out of bed or put up a fight...


And then...that night...we tucked him in...and that was it!! Nothing...no getting out of bed...no making up excuses...no even calling me back it...amazing...


And the next day, nap time was perfect...and bed time was perfect...


AMAZING!!


So far, we've had 3 beautiful, peaceful, perfect bed times...


I'm probably jinxing it by posting this and tonight the great battle will resume, but I don't think so...and if it does, I have my new super power up my sleeve!


Thank you Jo Frost!


credit

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LIKE! Amazingness!!!