Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Ripple Effect

A friend of mine gave me this great little book to read: Making Ripples by Mike Breaux

Credit
It's about having living a life full of passion and having a life that means something and that makes an impact...aka ripples....he uses the analogy of when you cannonball into the water it ripples out from you and they could conceivably go on forever....

It's about being attuned to God's poking and prodding so that when He gives you that urge to do something nice for someone else, or serve Him in some way, you are listening, you hear and you follow through....and by doing that you can leave a positive mark in someone's life that either brings them to Christ or plants the seed at least...

I want that kind of life...I want my life to have a positive impact on someone else...whether it be one person or many...more than anything, I want to have the courage and bravery to follow through with something God has asked me to do....I want to hear Him when He calls and know for sure that's what He wants me to do...

While reading the book, I couldn't help but think of the Tuohy family and Michael Oher (the family that The Blind Side movie was based on)...I have no idea how accurately the movie depicts the details of how they met Michael and how he came to stay with them....but let's just assume it happened just like the movie shows....

They are driving home in the rain and pass him wandering alone in the dark...Leigh Ann tells her husband to turn the car around...she gets out and somehow manages to talk him into coming home with them...that small act of kindness changed his life remarkably and forever....

But, what if she didn't listen to God's prodding when He made her notice him and put that desire to help him in her heart....or what if her husband refused to turn around because they had kids of their own to worry about and protect, what if he was dangerous after all?

Just think of the huge ripple effect that once compassionate moment had in Michael's life...if he's anything like the quiet, calm personality as he is portrayed in the movie, I think he's made his own ripples in his life...(I'm actually watching the movie right now, can you tell?)

Anyway, I recommend the book, it's an easy read (I read it all in one sitting) and the examples he uses are very heart warming and encouraging and motivational...so, read it...

No comments: