Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Race, Fireworks, and BBQ Oh My!

Wow, what a whirlwind of a weekend!

In case I haven't mentioned it enough, I ran my very first road race this past Saturday...and now that it's over I can say "Wow, that was awesome! I feel so proud of myself and accomplished!"

However, I can't tell you what I was thinking DURING the race...there were quite a few expletives running through my head...

See, I underestimated the vast majority of people running this race...I figured there must be more people like me (and my good friend who let me drag her with me) that this was their very first race and they aren't all that super fast...boy was I wrong!



A guy pushing a stroller passed me within the first minute (he was among the 50 others who passed me at the beginning)...

I'm so used to running by myself that it felt really weird having all these strangers around me...so I kind of pushed myself and passed a few people in order to find an empty spot between the groups of strangers where I could feel a little more comfortable...in the process I left Toni (my friend) in my dust (SORRY!...but hey, she got the police escort!)



Well, once I found my little nest of "solitude" I had to keep up a faster pace because I didn't want to be lame and have the people I already passed, pass me...and then about halfway through the adrenaline wore off...completely...and I feel like I'm dying because I was going quite a bit faster than I realized and what I'm used to and there was a LOT more uphill than I was expecting...so throw all those things together and I just feel horrible...keep in mind that this was at mile 2 of a 3.8 mile race....but I pressed on trying to make it to the next water station at mile 3 because that would mean that I'm almost done (yippee!) but I swear that was the longest mile of my life (there was a lot of cursing going on in my head at this point...but FINALLY I reached that mile 3ish mark and was in the home stretch...

Now, I would like to meet the person who mapped out this race 30 years ago and ask him WHY??!!!?? WHY!!!??!! after already running over 3 miles do you make us finish the race up a super long and steep hill???!!??? WHY!!???!!

I know my limits and there was no way I was running up that thing, so I stopped and walked up most of it (I think about 5 people passed me...jerks), but I didn't want my family to see me walking, so before I reached the top I started up again...I seriously felt so pathetic during this race that I thought my time would be horrible, but it was infinitely better than I expected! 3.8 miles in 36:32...I still can't get over it!



So, as much as I would like to say that I LOVED racing and it was so much FUN...I can't..I was miserable during most of it...but the sense of accomplishment when it was over was definitely worth it!


As for the rest of our weekend, it was the usual Fourth of July festivities...fireworks (which I LOVE) and a family bbq at our house...we planned on going to a parade in town but it was more fun just chilling at home with our fam

Hope you all had a lovely weekend with your families celebrating our amazing country!

No comments: