Tuesday, May 10, 2011

ADHD? That was SO yesterday...

It's been a while since I've posted anything...life has been on cruise control for a bit, nothing too exciting going one...the kids are doing great, miniG is growing up too stinking fast and is so crazy smart it's scary and Chunkamunk still believes that the umbilical cord is attached even though I try to convince him otherwise, but other than that, he's a good kid :o)

So, that's why the blog has been silent as of late....nothing too amusing or noteworthy...

But, today something caught my attention (not related to my kids at all, though I'm sure some well meaning teacher in the future will think it is)

Apparently the disorder du jour is Autism.

*Please note, I am in no way being disrespectful towards those who truly are on the Autism spectrum and I hold every ounce of respect for those families*

Pretty much every kid in America has been diagnosed with ADHD, so they had to find something else to inflict on our children...

Every other person you talk to thinks Autism is on the rise due to vaccines...whatever...one ridiculous "study" has been discounted by like 50 other studies showing no link, but people believe what they want...

Anyway, I was watching the Today show this morning and there was this woman on there talking about another study done in South Korea where they found that 1 in 38 children were on some end or other of the Autism spectrum...

But most of the children newly diagnosed just had "mild social impairments"...huh...so, if your kid can't sit still for 6 hours a day, they have ADHD, and now if they are shy, they could be autisic...really people?

Oh, yeah, this was the kicker...the woman on the show actually said one of the early signs of autism could be "not liking loud noises"....I'm just going to pretend she didn't say that...

Maybe I'm being judgmental, but it seems like rather than focusing on parenting and discipline, we just want to pawn our kids bad behavior off on a disorder and drug them up...or now turn their shyness into a disorder or the fact that they are super smart or good at something the result of a disorder rather than they are just plain smart...

Again, I know ADHD is a real thing, and Autism is most definitely real, but I think we should be focusing on those children that are Asberger's and up...not this new "mild social impairments" that probably need no "intervention" (which sounds to me like there's nothing wrong with them in the first place, but whatever)

I'm probably wrong, and someone down the road will say my kids have some mild form of autism and I'll have to eat my words, but geez...1 in 38 kids? Really?

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, I'm just rambling at this point, so...

Peace out, Peeps

No comments: