So, we'll start at the beginning...no, not that beginning, I think we all know how that works
Apparently sometime in the middle of the night, my water broke, but when you are pretty much sleep walking/peeing you just think to yourself, wow, that was way more pee than I expected and go straight back to bed
The next day my husband goes off to work and I stay home (it was Saturday and the day before was my due date and my last official day of work before maternity leave...pretty good timing if I do say so myself)...they started as very small tightening sensations and were not painful at all but were pretty steady all day (I never had Braxton-Hicks with miniG, so I was pretty sure this was the real thing)
By the time my husband got home around 3 they were really steady and getting to be painful, but bearable...it was my father-in-laws birthday so we went off to their house for some cake and ice cream and while we were there they were getting stronger, but I was biting my tongue not to show it! When we left to go home I was cursing the dirt road they live on...
We got home around 6 I think, I called the hospital, the doctor on call said "Yep, sounds like you're in labor, come on in" So, off we went and I made my phone calls to my sister and parents. My mom sounded like she was already out the door as I hung up the phone :o)
After having contractions all day long you would expect I would have been dilated pretty far, right? Nope, a fingertip, People! A fingertip! Then he asks me if my water broke..I say "Nope, don't think so", but he takes a sample anyway and sure enough, yes my water had broken. Then the doctor and nurses look at me like I have about 3 heads because I didn't remember a gushing, or trickling all day...I think that's when I remembered the middle of the night pee session but was too embarrassed to say anything...
They hooked me up to pitocin and refused my begging and pleading for an epidural (not dilated enough) but offered me Nubain...never.again....
By this time my parents are there, the doctor tells them this will be an all-nighter and the baby probably won't get here until morning sometime, so they leave to go spend the night at my sisters, they load me up with the nubain, give my husband a cot, shut out the light and leave me unbelievably groggy but still in pain...yeah...they didn't mention the fact that nubain just makes you sleepy but doesn't do anything for the pain...so...I get in that mostly asleep phase for about 2 minutes, then BAM, a contraction hits...jerks..
I've lost all track of time at this point and when one of the nurses comes in to check my vitals, I ask "When can I get that epidural again?"...so, she goes and gets the doctor to check me...he comes in...pokes around...oh, wow she's at 8cm already...the lights go on...about 20 nurses come in and set up the baby station...my husband calls my mom...in comes the epidural guy (FINALLY!)
Meanwhile, remember, I'm still doped up on nubain and am in this hazy fog....at some point I get to 10cm and the labor nurse wants me to push...PUSH? I just want to sleep lady! The pain is gone (that epidural guy was really really good) so just let me sleep darn it!....
Nope, not gonna happen...so she gets me to push...turns out his heart rate dropped every time I pushed, so she figured out that if I pushed while lying on my right side, the heart rate was fine...so for 1 HOUR I pushed...on my side...yeah...not easy...especially still doped and drugged and fuzzy...
The funniest part to me was the nurse wanted me to tell her every time I felt a contraction and felt like pushing...did I mention how good the epidural guy was? I felt NOTHING! So, I just kind of faked it...sure, I feel like pushing now...yeah, there's a contraction...good grief, she was the one looking at the contraction monitor, couldn't she tell me when I had one?
But, eventually, he got down far enough where I could push on my back and out he came! The cord was around his neck, so they had to scoop him up and check him out and stitch me up before I got the chance to hold him...but finally here he was!
And somehow...this...
has turned into this...
No comments:
Post a Comment