Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sleep, Sleep, Beautiful Sleep!

So, I am totally in love with the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth...I (unknowingly) used some of the principles in his book for Jacoby and he was always an amazingly good sleeper, then I discovered his book when Jacoby was 5 months old and going through a schedule change that I just could not figure out, and the schedule suggested in his book was magical...

But, many friends of mine were declaring their love for Babywise, so I decided to give it a shot....BIG mistake...Aidan would only sleep a max of 5 hours at a time at night...I think once or twice I was able to get 8 hours out of him...

He was on a strict 3 hour schedule with cluster feeding at night before bed and that meant getting him up at 10pm before I went to bed for one last feed. And that I believe was the problem with sleeping through the night. See, he was always in a super deep sleep and while he wouldn't always wake up completely, it would still disrupt his sleep rhythm...

Then, I rediscovered the Healthy Sleep Habits book and his mantra throughout the beginning chapters is "Never wake a sleeping baby." He explains in scientific detail as to why it's unhealthy to disrupt a babies sleep pattern, but in a nutshell, it's just unhealthy. So, for the past 3ish days (I have no sense of time) I have thrown the "dreamfeed" out the window...it was a little rough for a couple days due to breaking the habit, but last night he slept from 7:30 - 4:30...9 glorious hours!



Now, I am in no way delusioned into believing this will be the new norm...but, it's a start and gives me hope that I may actually be able to get a full night's sleep in the near future...

(Hopefully the next time it happens, I won't feel sick to my stomach and be up all night :o)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Girl, you know I LOVE Babywise, but that's ONLY because of how well it worked for me. One of my girlfriends at church had twins and Babywise wasn't really an easy option for her. There was no schedule that would work for 2 babies that wouldn't keep her up for 2 hours while feeding in the middle of the night. She used HSH,HC and it worked like a dream!
And I say, whatever works. I think your issues with Babywise were the demands it put on you, just like my issues with breastfeeding. You start to feel trapped by your schedule. I get it.
I just wished you had tried to change it up sooner.
Let this be a lesson to all of us, if your baby doesn't have it by 12 weeks, move on.
Love you! Welcome to life again!