If you are friends with me on FB, which let's face it, 99.9% of you are, you know that my debit card was recently used fraudulently. (Look at me, sounding all official-like)
Well, Gman called the website that it was used on to see what was bought and where it was shipped to...it was Microsoft Home and Office for 3 users for $132.98 (which we did not even have!!) and would only tell us that it was shipped out of state, not exactly where. We had to file a police report and they would tell the police all the details.
So, Gman called the police department, talked to the dispatcher, left a message with a detective, waited 3 days and finally he called back. Since it was my debit card used, I had to be the one to go down and file the report
Enter, stage left, awkward, shy, "Daddy will you come with me and talk to the big scary policeman? Oh, wait, I'm 30, and don't live with you anymore and you're 2 hours away, nevermind..Husband, will you come with me? What? you have to stay home with our unruly children? Crap!"...me
I put on my brave face, walked confidently out the door, came back in
me: "Where's the police station again?
Gman: "By the fire station"
me: "Right, but where's the door?...Nevermind, I'll figure it out"
Re-walked confidently out the door again and off I went
I managed to find the right driveway and a parking spot
Picture this: A square-ish brick building with industrial steel doors in the front and on the side...you know, the ones that look like they are for deliveries and employees only?...No friendly sign saying "Enter Here" or "Welcome" or "Criminals, please leave your weapons in the car"...nothing...
I park in the front...the door in the front is kind of in a little nook, so I bypass that one and head for the side...but then I realize that the sidewalk doesn't extend to the side and all that's back there are police cars and one of them has a cop in it staring at me...
So, I shrug my shoulders, mouth "I don't know where I'm going!", giggle like a fool (cuz that's what I do when I'm nervous) and give the front nook door a shot.
Thankfully that was the one!
We live in a rural farm town...it's big, but still, a farm town...when I think of the police stations in farm towns, something like The Andy Griffith show comes to mind...
but, instead of being greeted by a delightfully grumpy and pleasantly plump older lady in a housedress sitting in an office chair surrounded by house plants and trimming her nails...I walk into a bare room with a couple vinyl seats and lined with BULLETPROOF GLASS windows with the little speakers that you have to bend way down and get right up to and YELL REALLY LOUD for them to hear you...
So, I do my thing...yell at the dispatcher lady (who is neither plump nor delightfully grumpy, just grumpy)...tell her why I'm there...sit in the vinyl chair and wait...then I notice the security cameras on the screen in the bulletproof room and see that they were probably watching me wander around the parking lot like an idiot...great...
Anywho, after about 5 minutes, the detective comes out of the little conference room and invites me in. He's a detective so apparently that's why he's not in police uniform, he's wearing the typical jeans, t-shirt and gray hoodie...all he's missing is the police badge on a lanyard around his neck...but, he's nice enough
The conference room is the tiny little room with the round table in the corner that you see in all those videos on the news when they get somebody to confess to something...and there's a sign on the wall saying that it's being video and audio recoreded...awesome...I feel the sudden need to confess to something, but can't think of anything
I hand the guy the piece of paper with all the info on it...he pretends to read it, but all the questions he asks me could be answered by reading.the.piece.of.paper...I'm suddenly less confident in his detective-ing abilities...
Not much got accomplished, he pretty much said he wasn't going to do anything, because it was probably an off shore scam that they can't do anything about anyway...
Hopefully our house is never broken into, he'll probably think that was done by Nigerians too...

No comments:
Post a Comment