There are a few things though that I stand very firm on...my faith and abortion being two examples.
Now, Halloween in no way fits in either of those categories, but my feathers have been ruffled. There are two sets of camps in the Christian realm regarding Halloween...one says that it's not a big deal and the other says that it as abhorrently evil....I sit in the former.
What brought this rant on? Well, good ole FB is all a flutter over Halloween and there are many remarks from fellow Christian friends denouncing Halloween and declaring that "God abhors it"...I find this interesting...(I am directly quoting from someone on FB, by the way)
Huh...how do they know that? I'm no Bible scholar, but I don't really remember that particular passage of scripture...
If it's the pagan holiday coinciding with this time of year that everyone is concerned with, may I remind you that the time of year that we celebrate Jesus' birth coincides with another pagan holiday. Should we therefore, on a matter of principle, change the date we normally celebrate in order to not offend? Nope
When I dress my kids up in their silly little costumes and take them door to door for free candy, I am in no way offending my God. I am not inviting them to worship the devil or take a blood oath or sacrifice a cat. To them, it is just a fun, silly thing to do, to get dressed up and load up on candy.
If the rest of the world can take Christ out of Christmas, why can't we take Halloween and just have fun with it? I don't feel at all guilty or evil or wrong in putting Halloween themed stickers on the windows of my home, or putting on a goofy costume.
So, if you choose to not participate in Halloween, fine, be the party pooper...but I disagree (and I will be the one getting the free chocolate).
Happy Halloween!!
No comments:
Post a Comment