Friday, March 11, 2011

Misadventures in Travel

Have I mentioned that I'm travel challenged?

Yes, I believe I have

Somehow I forgot to mention my complete and utter lack of a sense of direction...

Let me give you a little back story....

My lovely older sister took all the good genes when she was percolating in our mother's womb....she got the good skin, the flat stomach, the assertive personality, and the inner gps system.....leaving me with the pimply skin during my teenage years that has turned into scars and wrinkles, the pudgy stomach that has not been flat since I hit puberty, a passive/slightly aggressive nature (if you get on my last nerve, watch out), and no sense of direction...

Want a little unrelated proof? Her skin is so clear and she's so pretty that people ask who is older...she's 6 YEARS older, People....SIX!!....but I digress

So, yesterday was my nephew's birthday party at this indoor water park...I Googled the directions and I just had to follow one road and it was right off that road...simple right?....My husband assured me that I would get lost anyway, but I was sure that I could make it...I mean seriously, how hard could it be?

Well, I don't know what happened...I guess I wasn't expecting to get there so quickly so I wasn't looking for it....or miniG was telling me some crazy story that distracted me.....or I'm just completely moronic....but I totally drove right by the place...

In my defense, you can't see the building from the road, there just a sign that was somewhat hidden by tree limbs...granted they were tree limbs with no leaves on them...but, still...

So, we keep driving.....and driving...and driving...and we come to this very sketchy part of town.....and it gets sketchier....and sketchier....and sketchier....

I decide to turn around because darn it I should have been there by now!

I should also add that I had printed the Google directions with the Street View pictures (commence eye rolling now, and vote for "completely moronic")...so, I head back to where I think the last picture looked like....which just so happened to the on ramp for a highway....yeah...

I get on the highway (Oh no she didnt!...Oh yes, I did)...but promptly get off at the next exit because there was a sign for a hotel...I remembered that the water park was in a hotel...so I'm thinking Yes! this is it!.....

Nope....

After trying to call my sister about a billion times (she was frolicking in the water by this point, so could not answer the phone), I called my husband, admitted defeat, and he patiently directed me to where I needed to go....

Sigh...at least I'll know how to get there next time....maybe...

1 comment:

Leah said...

You should be so thankful that you didn't accidently marry my husband. You guys would never get anywhere!