Monday, December 12, 2011

To Santa or not to Santa

As my kids are getting older, and specifically miniG being old enough to grasp the whole gift thing and watch all the Christmas specials, Gman and I have been trying to figure out what to do about Jolly Old Saint Nick...

We never did Santa when I was growing up...my parents even went so far as to take the "From: Santa" stickers off the gifts my grandparents sent us.

Was I scarred for life with no Santa? No

Did I feel like I was missing out on some great magic? No

My parents were not horrible people who wanted to rob us of the fun, they just wanted us to really understand the true meaning of Christmas: Celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. Yes, we got gifts, we just knew who they came from.

And, I want that for my children as well, but I also kind of want that magic of Santa too...it sounds fun

I just couldn't figure out how to marry the two in my mind

Can you let your kids believe in Santa, but still see that they understand it's about Jesus?

Then, I read this post from Daring Young Mom and all the pieces fell into place.

Love it!!

1 comment:

BumbersBumblings said...

I loved this article!! Thanks for sharing!